Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Makkah & Medinah - A Recent Trip



(*EDIT* OK so I was having a bit of a rant when I wrote this the first time so I have made some changes to make it less crazy.)

If you were curious as to where on earth I have been for the last 3 weeks, I went to Umrah alhamduliAllah. I haven't been for the last few years and my oh my has there been some changes.


A lover of lists, I thought I would compile one giving you my view of the pros and cons of Makkah and Medinah.


Pros:


- The current extension work of Masjid Al Haram. It's really about time. Only thing is is that it was due to finish last year and they are still only about half way though.


- The removal of old, rundown buildings, hotels and shops in the vicinity of the haram in Makkah


- A noticeable reduction in the number of beggars in both Makkah and Medina, especially children who have been deliberately mutilated for the purpose of begging.

Cons:



- The ZamZam "Grand" Hotel in Makkah. Wow. It's the most ugly building I have ever seen. It looks like a tacky version of the Big Ben and looks so out of place next to the Haram. I really don't advise anybody to waste their money on that place - it is not a 5 star hotel (though it charges as one) no matter what anybody says. The rooms are bad, the service is awful and the hotel has a 4 story mall at the bottom of it full of western shops - very spiritual indeed.


- Women have the smallest fraction in the courtyard in which I did not get to pray a single jama'a prayer in because you have to be there an hour in advance to even hope of getting a place. To add insult to injury, the whole expanse of the roof space is reserved for men only apart from in Hajj season. HOW is that fair..????!! Just look at the amount of space they get while we are cramped away in cornors of the mosque with screaming bloody children.


Look at the size of that roof space..


- A general lack of common courtesy and increasing selfishness amongst Muslims. When did it become a taboo to say please, thank you, excuse me and SORRY?


- Pervs. Anything that breathes and they will look. It's ironic and disappointing given their proximity to the ka'ba/masjid al nabawi.


- OK so I know that it is socially acceptable for Arab men to hold hands and everything but can you just please stop..? :)

**Having said all of this, I still want to go back to Makkah and Medina all the time and leaving them is the most painful experience. The spiritual peace that you attain from simply viewing the Ka'ba is amazing and far outweighs my childish complaints. This post is simply for a bit of banter and to give you an idea of my take on certain aspects of these two holy places.**


(Top pic from madinamakkah.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment