Friday, March 4, 2011

Intentions

The concept of hijab is slowly being either changed, ignored or forgotten altogether.

This unfortunate fact only hit home when I started university and actually made contact with other Muslims living in the West. Before, I had an ignorant idea that young women chose to adopt the Hijab in the West for the sole reason of obeying Allah (SWT) and that they would be pleasing in character towards Muslim sisters (instead of refusing to return a smile to the hijabi that just walked by but feel a charitable compulsion to offer every Muslim brother a smile. *sigh*) and try their best to stick to the laws of Islam and keep away from things forbidden.

I quickly learnt that I could not have been more mistaken in my judgement.

In this day and age, 'wearing' the hijab to follow the rules of Islam is only one of many reasons a girl may have to do it. It is also the only intention that will lead her to any sort of reward.

I am not about to embark upon a long torrent of holier-than-thou preaching (as I am far flung from perfection), but this is just a small reminder that we should constantly question our intentions in the way we act, talk and dress, especially around those of the opposite sex (it does not cease to amaze me how 'free-mixing' has become something normal and encouraged amongst Muslims).

What is the point in subjecting ourselves to dodgy looks on the underground if our 'hijab' is not actually benefiting us in any way, because the reasons for adopting it in the first place were based on disagreeable intentions?

Anyway, here's something many of you have probably watched before:

(Is it just me, or is the Shaitan made out to be eccentrically charming in this clip..?)

No comments:

Post a Comment